Are you considering or have you already decided to create a WILPF National Section in your country? Thank you for lending us your energy! Each and every Section around the world is an essential component of WILPF.
By working together in Sections, you will forge relationships and generate solutions for building peace. WILPF National Sections are essential because they:
- Share WILPF values and promote a democratic participatory way of work;
- Support or develop grassroots activities aligned with WILPF values;
- Are taking part in WILPF’s evolution;
- Provide a feminist and contextual analysis of their countries’ challenges, which will be used to develop advocacy at the international and national level; and
- Provide financial support to WILPF via the Section fee.
The first step for becoming a WILPF National Section is to be approved as a WILPF National Group.
To be successful, you need to:
- Engage your community;
- Define your shared concerns;
- Discuss how you can adapt and realise WILPF’s vision and work in your country;
- Develop a broad membership base. We love – and need – diversity! Be sure to get members from different cultural, economic, linguistic, ethnic, and ability backgrounds.
To be validated, your Group shall:
- Be composed of at least ten paid members (the fee amount is set by the Group but WILPF International Secretariat will request proof of payment);
- Be the only Group representing WILPF in your country: if you wish to know whether this is the case, discover where our members are.
When you are in the process of creating a new Group from scratch, it is often a great help to be in contact with nearby WILPF Sections or already established Groups. This can provide sisterly support and answer to questions as they arise in the initial stages. Feel free to contact them.
If you think you meet the criteria above, you should get in touch with us at membership (a) wilpf.org and we will guide you through the application process.
We will ask you to fill out an application form that will be reviewed by our International Board. If the Board approves your application, you will be officially recognised as a WILPF National Group and have successfully completed the first step to become a Section.
Every third year, during WILPF’s International Congress, a National Group can become a Section if approved by the Congress. The requirements for admission are:
- A group of at least ten members resident in the country has been approved by the International Board to operate as a National Group;
- There is only one group representing WILPF in each country;
- The group has elected board members who assume specific responsibilities, including a President, Secretary and Treasurer; and
- The group has a work plan and a financial plan in place.
As the next Congress approaches, you will receive more guidance on how to submit your application for admission.
Do you want to start a National Group? Contact us at membership (a) wilpf.org